USS Champlin was a Benson-class destroyer launched on July 25, 1942. It was commissioned on September 12, the same year under Lt. Comdr. C. L. Melson’s command with the hull number DD-601 and served in the US Navy for 5 years until it was decommissioned on January 31, 1947. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 252 people on board and had the main missions in Argentia, Panama, New York, Azores, Boston, Gibraltar or Bermuda. After the decommissioning, the ship was sold for scrapping in 1972. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS Champlin received 6 battle stars.