The USS Cloues (DE-265) was an Evarts-class destroyer escort laid down on February 23, 1943, and launched on April 6, the same year. It was commissioned on August 10, 1943, under Cmdr. W. S. Howard’s command as DE-265, and served in the U.S. Navy for 2 years until it was decommissioned on November 26, 1945. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 198 people on board and had its main missions in Boston, Pearl Harbor, New York, Oahu, Enyu, Eniwetok, the Gilberts, Rongelap, Panama Canal, and Saipan. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on December 5, the same year, and sold for scrapping in 1947. For the services brought to the country during World War II, the USS Cloues received 3 battle stars. Between World War II and the late-1970s, the naval shipyard industry historically employed a large number of workers. During construction and maintenance of ships, insulators, electricians, plumbers, welders, and pipefitters may have been exposed to asbestos-containing materials, such as pipe insulation, gaskets, cement, and block insulation.