The USS Culebra Island was a repurposed internal combustion engine repair ship commissioned by the U.S. Navy for World War II service. The ship was laid down in October 1943 under the name of SS John F. Goucher at Bethlehem Fairfield Shipyard in Baltimore, Maryland under a MARCOM contract. Once commissioned by the Navy in May 1944, the ship served as part of the Floating Repair Unit 1 at Alexishafen, where it spent the end of the year, as well as the beginning of 1945 providing support for the Leyte Operation and repairing ships in the San Pedro Bay. The vessel spent the rest of the war on repair duty in the Philippines. The ship was placed in the reserve fleet after the war and scrapped in 1974.
Asbestos Exposure at Treasure Island Naval Stationmore »