USS Demeter was an Aristaeus-class battle damage repair ship laid down on October 25, 1944 and launched on January 19, the following year. It was commissioned on July 3, 1945 under Lt. E. V. Converse’s command with the hull number ARB-10 and served in the US Navy for 2 years until it was decommissioned on May 2, 1947. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 260 people on board and had the main missions in San Diego, Pearl Harbor, Charleston, Florida. After the decommissioning, the ship was sold and used for commercial service where it was renamed SS Motonave. In 1964, USS Demeter sank.