USS Des Moines was a Des Moines-class heavy cruiser laid down on May 28, 1945 and launched on September 27, the following year. It was commissioned on November 16, 1948 under Capt. A. D. Chandler’s command as CA-134 and served in the US Navy for 13 years until it was decommissioned on July 6, 1961. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 1,799 people on board and had the main missions in Norfolk, Newport News, Rijeka, Dubrovnik, Newport or Lebanon. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy Register on July 9, 1991 and used as a museum in Quincy, Massachusetts since 1993.