The USS Douglas A. Munro (DE-422) was a John C. Butler-class destroyer escort laid down on January 31, 1944 and launched on March 8, the same year. It was commissioned on July 11, 1944 under Lt. Cmdr. G. Moriss’ command as DE-422 and served in the U.S. Navy for 12 years until it was decommissioned on June 24, 1960. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 215 people on board and had its main missions in San Diego, Norfolk, Manus, Casablanca, Okinawa, Hong Kong and Formosa. After decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on December 1, 1965 and used as a target ship during training exercises the following year. Asbestos was initially known for its affordability, durability and heat resistance, which made it a valuable commodity for the shipbuilding industry. It was not until the 1970s that these benefits overlooked the serious health risks posed by the inhalation of asbestos fibers. The use of asbestos in the Navy vessels built during World War II was mostly confined to the insulation used around engines, and the gaskets and seals used in pumps and engine design.