USS Durant was an Edsall-class destroyer escort laid down on May 15, 1943 and launched on August 3, the same year. It was commissioned on November 16, 1943 under Lt. Comdr. C. C. Knapp’s command with the hull number DE-389 and served in the US Navy for 21 years until it was decommissioned in June 1964. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 209 people on board and had the main missions in Norfolk, Boston, Pearl Harbor, Guantanamo Bay, San Diego, San Francisco or Florida. After the decommissioning, the ship was sold for scrapping in 1974.