The USS Elk (IX-115) was an Armadillo-class tanker that was laid down by California Shipbuilding Corporation, Wilmington as SS William Winter for the Maritime Commission. The ship was launched on November 6, 1943, and delivered to the U.S. Navy on November 26, 1943, and was commissioned under Lieutenant W. T. Stannard’s command on the same day. The ship used asbestos-containing products such as boiler and steam pipe insulation, fireproofing material for bulkheads, brake linings in winches, and gaskets of valves and pipe fixtures during the construction and repair. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 103 men on board and it had the main missions in Kwajalein, Majuro, and Eniwetok to support the Marianas operation, Ulithi, Okinawa, and Sasebo. The ship received one battle star for its service in World War II and was decommissioned on May 17, 1946, at Norfolk, Virginia.
106 years old