USS Emery (DE-28) Areas With Asbestos Exposure

The USS Emery (DE-28) was an Evarts-class destroyer escort laid down on October 29, 1942, and launched on April 17, the following year. It was commissioned on August 14, 1943, under Lt. Comdr. R. G. Coburn’s command with the hull number DE-28 and served in the U.S. Navy for 2 years until it was decommissioned on November 15, 1945. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 198 people on board and had its main missions in Pearl Harbor, Peleliu, Eniwetok, Guam, Ulithi, Emirau, Majuro, Saipan, Iwo Jima, and Kwajalein. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on November 28, 1945, and sold for scrapping in 1947. For the services brought to the country during World War II, the USS Emery received 4 battle stars. Asbestos was used in practically every part of ships built between World War II and the late-1970s. Tiny microscopic asbestos fibers lingered on every surface in storage rooms, mess halls, navigation rooms, and sleeping quarters. When Navy personnel inhaled these fibers, it started a dangerous chain reaction; the fibers would embed in the lungs, where they would remain lodged permanently. As the body's natural defenses fought the foreign invader, it created intense scarring, which led to inflammation and breathing difficulties.  

Questions about asbestos exposure? We can help!

Shipmates on USS Emery (DE-28)

henry white bloomer jr

john m. molinari

robert glen mueller

edward duenas sanagustin

donald e. stenerson

leonard joseph walden

theodore j. zak