USS Flaherty was an Edsall-class destroyer escort laid down on November 7, 1942 and launched on January 17, the following year. It was commissioned on June 26, 1943 under Comdr. M. W. Firth’s command, with the hull number DE-135 and it served in the US Navy for 3 years until it was decommissioned on June 17, 1946. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 209 people onboard and had the main missions in Casablanca, Guadalcanal, Madeira, Norfolk, Miami, Argentia, Le Havre or Southampton. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Naval Register on April 1, 1965 and sold for scrapping in 1966. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS Flaherty received 4 battle stars and the Presidential Unit Citation.