Stuff You Should Know
USS Ganymede (AK-103) was a Crater-class cargo ship commissioned by the US Navy to be used during World War II for delivering troops and equipment in the war zones. It was the only ship to have this name, which was inspired by the largest of the moons of Jupiter.
Laid down in May 1943 as Liberty Ship SS James W. Nye, this ship was sponsored by Mrs. C. Dalby, acquired by the US Navy in June, and commissioned in July 1943 under Lieutenant Commander Glenn H. Melichar’s command.
The ship departed San Francisco in August 1943 with military cargo to be delivered to Pallikulo Bay, Queensland, and Sydney. It was one of the five Liberty ships assigned 8 December 1943 to the Southwest Pacific Area, manned by US Navy crew, for service under operation control of the Commander, Seventh Fleet. Its first mission under the Seventh Fleet Service Force was delivering fuel, supplies, and passengers from Queensland to Milne and Langemak Bays, New Guinea. Ganymede transported military cargo of many types, and passengers from ports in Australia to bases in New Guinea, and later, Philippines, until November 1945. The ship returned to San Francisco where it remained until February the next year. Later it sailed to Pearl Harbor to be used in a special explosives test, before it was decommissioned in April 1946.