USS George A. Johnson was a Rudderow-class destroyer escort laid down on November 24, 1943 and launched on January 12, the following year. It was commissioned on April 15, 1944 under Lt. Cmdr. Alvin Robinson’s command as DE-583 and served in the US Navy for 9 years until it was decommissioned in September 1957. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 186 people on board and had the main missions in Norfolk, Manus, Hingham, Bermuda, New Guinea, Hollandia, Leyte, Lingayen, Okinawa or Ulithi. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on November 1, 1965 and sold for scrapping.