USS Guadalcanal was a Casablanca-class escort carrier laid down on January 5, 1943 and launched on June 5, the same year. It was commissioned on September 25, 1943 with the hull number CVE-60 under Capt. Daniel V. Gallery’s command and served in the US Navy for 3 years until it was decommissioned on July 15, 1946. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 916 men on board had the main missions in Casablanca, Norfolk, Madeira, Hampton Roads, the Gulf of Guinea, Bermuda or Pensacola. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on May 27, 1958 and sold for scrapping on April 30, the following year to Hugo Neu Corporation in New York. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS Guadalcanal received 3 battle stars and the Presidential Unit Citation.
Died on 11/13/1942