USS Gualala was a Mettawee-class gasoline tanker launched on June 3, 1944. It was commissioned on August 25, the same year under Lt. Gerald T. Allworth’s command with the hull number AOG-28 and it served in the US Navy for 2 years until it was decommissioned on March 29, 1946. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 62 people onboard and had the main missions in New York, Guantanamo, Biak Island, Mios Woendi, Balikpapan, Saipan, San Francisco or New Guinea. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on May 1, 1946 and sold to Brazil where it was renamed Rijo. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS Gualala received one battle star.