The USS Guardian was a converted radar picket ship acquired by the U.S. Navy at the start of the Cold War to be used for radar defenses of the United States. The ship was originally built as the Liberty Ship SS James G. Squires at the J.A. Jones Construction Corporation’s shipyards in Panama City, Florida. The ship was in service under the Waterman Steamship Corporation’s command throughout the war and then placed in the reserve fleet, James River Group, Virginia. It was taken out of the reserve in 1954, underwent conversion at Charleston Navy Yard, renamed, and equipped with radar gear to detect aircraft on the U.S. West and East Coast as a part of the Eastern Continental Air Defense Command until July 1965, when it was returned to MARCOM to be placed back in the reserve fleet. The vessel was scrapped in 1971 in Spain.