USS Haines was a Buckley-class destroyer escort laid down on May 17, 1943 and launched on August 26, the same year. It was commissioned on December 27, 1943 under Lt. Comdr. Elmer C. Powell’s command with the hull number DE-792 and served in the US Navy for 3 years until it was decommissioned on April 29, 1946. Meanwhile, the ship was reclassified as a high-speed transport with the hull number APD-84. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 186 men on board and it had the main missions in Norfolk, Rhode Island, Alexandria, southern France, Naples, Oran, Guam or Japan. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Naval Register on June 1, 1960. One year later, it was sold for scrapping to the North American Smelting Company in Wilmington, Delaware. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS Haines received 1 battle star.