The USS Indian Island was a miscellaneous auxiliary ship belonging to the Basilan-class that was acquired by the U.S. Navy right before the end of World War II as a personnel transporter and cargo carrier for a short period. It was launched under contract by the New England Shipbuilding Corporation in South Portland, Maine, converted by the Bethlehem Steel Company in Brooklyn, New York and commissioned in July 1945 with Lt. Commander J. M. O’Toole in command. The ship was responsible for transporting veterans from China and Japan back to the U.S., where it arrived in December 1945 and then sailed to Orange, Texas to be placed out of commission. The ship joined the reserve fleet, Texas Group, where it remained until it was sold for scrapping in August 1960.
Asbestos Exposure at Treasure Island Naval Stationmore »