USS J. Douglas Blackwood was a Buckley-class destroyer escort laid down on February 22, 1943 and launched on May 29, the same year. It was commissioned three times, the first time on December 15, 1943 under Comdr. R. V. Randolph’s command with the hull number DE-219 and served in the US Navy for 21 years until it was decommissioned for the last time on January 30, 1970. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 213 men on board and it had the main missions in the Solomons, Majuro, Eniwetok, Brazil, the Caribbean or New London. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on January 30, 1970. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS J. Douglas Blackwood received 3 battle stars.
92 years old