The USS Jamestown was a technical research ship belonging to the Oxford class that was used by the U.S. Navy to conduct research in the reception of electromagnetic propagation during the Cold War. It was constructed as the Liberty Ship J. Howland Gardner, under a MARCOM contract, by the New England Shipbuilding Corporation and launched in July 1945. The ship was acquired by the U.S. Navy in August 1962 and commissioned in December at Norfolk Navy Yard with Commander Alan J. Kaplan in command. As part of the Service Squadron 8, Service Force, the technical research ship’s mission was to “conduct technical research operation in support of U.S. Navy electronic projects”, including electromagnetic propagation studies and satellite communications. Together with the USS Oxford and the USS Jamestown, it operated near Vietnam, undertaking Signals Intelligence tasks and gathering valuable information for the Navy’s ships in the Vietnam war zone until decommission in December 1969. It was scrapped one year later.