USS John C. Butler was a John C. Butler-class destroyer escort laid down on October 5, 1943 and launched on November 12, the same year. It was commissioned on March 31, 1944 under Lt. Cmdr. John E. Pace’s command as DE-339 and served in the US Navy for 9 years until it was decommissioned on December 18, 1957. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 186 people on board and had the main missions in Bermuda, Morotai, Panama Canal, Manus, Leyte, San Diego, Ie Shima, Kerama Retto, Pearl Harbor, Ulithi or Okinawa. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on June 1, 1970 and used as a target ship during training exercises the following year. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS John C. Butler received 5 battle stars and the Presidential Unit Citation.