USS Kern was a Patapsco-class gasoline tanker laid down on May 25, 1942 and launched on September 7, the same year. It was commissioned on March 9, 1943 under Lt. Comdr. Lewis Williams’ command with the hull number AOG-2 and it served in the US Navy for 10 years until it was decommissioned on October 1, 1957. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 131 people onboard and had the main missions in Alaska, Seattle, Ulithi, Eniwetok, Kossol Roads, Peleliu or San Pedro. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on April 10, 1958 and sold to National Metal & Steel from Terminal Island, California in 1975, where it was subsequently scrapped.