The USS Laertes was a repair ship belonging to the Xanthus-class that was used by the US Navy after World War II. The ship was originally built as the Liberty Ship SS Dutiful by Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyard in August 1944. Once it was acquired by the Navy, it was converted into a repair ship in Baltimore, Maryland and commissioned in March 1945 with Commander Leslie H. Hawkins in command. During its short World War II service, the ship operated in the Eniwetok Atoll, Pacific Ocean, repairing damaged ships. The USS Laertes was recommissioned in December 1951 to be used once again during the Korean War. The ship operated out of Sasebo, Japan, and Korea for more than 5 months, as a repair ship for the US Seventh Fleet and then sailed for San Diego in January 1953. The ship was decommissioned in February 1954 and placed in the reserve fleet at San Diego. It was eventually sold for scrapping to Zidell Explorations in July 1972. For its service during the Korean War, the USS Laertes received two battle stars.