The USS Lansdowne (DD-486), a Gleaves-class destroyer, was laid down on 31 July 1941 by Federal Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company of Kearny, New Jersey, and launched on 20 February 1942, sponsored by Miss Peggy Lansdowne, daughter of Lt. Cmdr. Lansdowne. The ship was commissioned on 29 April 1942, with Lt. Cmdr. William R. Smedberg III in command. During January and February 1944, the ship covered the landings at Torokina, Bougainville, and Green Island, and conducted anti-shipping sweeps between Buka and Rabaul. On 10 June 1949, it was transferred to the Turkish Navy, which she served as TCG Gaziantep (D 344) until 1973. The USS Lansdowne (DD-486) received 12 battle stars for World War II service. Asbestos was used extensively within the shipbuilding industry throughout the United States particularly in the 1940s, ’50s, 60s, and ’70s, because of its remarkable strength, its fire-resistant abilities, and its capacity to withstand massive amounts of heat. Everyone onboard USS Lansdowne (DD-486) was exposed to asbestos. Once asbestos is damaged in any way it’s easily released into the surrounding air. The tight spaces and lack of proper ventilation left all naval personnel defenseless against the carcinogenic effects of asbestos.