The USS Lansing (DE-388) was an Edsall-class destroyer escort laid down on May 15, 1943, and launched on August 2, the same year. It was commissioned on November 10, 1943, under Lt. Comdr. S.R. Sands’ command with the hull number DE-388 and served in the U.S. Navy for 22 years until it was decommissioned on May 21, 1965. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 209 people on board and had its main missions in Norfolk, Boston, Pearl Harbor, Casablanca, New York, Far East, and Green Cove Springs. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on February 1, 1974, and sold for scrapping the same year. Asbestos exposure to Navy members came from the fact that manufacturers used the substance liberally throughout much of the 20th century. There were some concerns about asbestos and the potential health risks it poses as far back as World War II. However, because of the pressing threat of fires on ships, and the mineral’ benefits, the concerns were. Consequently, gaskets, boiler room equipment, pumps, turbines, electrical insulation, pipes, and plumbing, all contained asbestos.