USS Leland E. Thomas was a John C. Butler-class destroyer escort laid down on January 21, 1944 and launched on February 28, the same year. It was commissioned on June 19, 1944 under Lt. Cmdr. Leslie E. Rosenberg’s command as DE-420 and served in the US Navy for 2 years until it was decommissioned on May 3, 1946. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 215 people on board and had the main missions in San Diego, Norfolk, Manus, Hollandia, San Pedro, Luzon or Maine. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on September 1, 1972 and sold for scrapping the following year. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS Leland E. Thomas received 1 battle star.