The USS Leopard (IX-122), an Armadillo-class Mobile Station Tanker was initially laid down on October 5, 1943, as SS William B. Bankhead by Delta Shipbuilding Company, New Orleans, Louisiana under a Maritime Commission contract. The ship was renamed as Leopard on October 27, 1943, and launched on November 15, 1943. Later on, the ship was acquired by the US Navy on December 24, 1943, and was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific Theater during World War II. The ship was decommissioned on June 21, 1946. The USS Leopard (IX-122) was built using parts containing asbestos for its heat resistance quality. Most of the workers aboard the ship were exposed to dangerous asbestos fibers while on their job. After being struck off from the Naval Register on July 3, 1946, the ship was sold off to Tramp Shipping and Oil Transportation Corp in 1948.