The USS Locator was a radar picket ship that was used by the United States during World War II. It belonged to the Guardian-class. The ship was laid down as the Liberty Ship SS Frank O. Peterson by J.A. Jones Construction Company in Panama City, Florida, in February 1945. It was acquired by the US Navy from the reserve fleet and converted for naval use. As a radar picket ship, the USS Locator operated out of a radar picket station off the US West Coast, coordinating operations with the Continental and North American Air Defense Commands. Its mission consisted of detecting, tracking, and reporting all air contacts that came within its radar surveillance range. After 9 years of service, the USS Locator was decommissioned at San Francisco in August 1965 and sold for scrapping in 1975.