USS Marcus Island was a Casablanca-class escort carrier laid down on September 15, 1943 and launched on December 16, the same year. It was commissioned on January 26, 1944 with the hull number CVE-77 under Capt. Charles F. Greber’s command and served in the US Navy for 2 years until it was decommissioned on 12 December, 1946. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 916 men on board had the main missions in Manus, San Diego, Palaus, Pearl Harbor, Leyte, Mindanao or Alameda. After the decommissioning, the ship was sold for scrapping to Comarket, Inc. in Boston on February 29, 1960. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS Marcus Island received 4 battle stars.
88 years old
Asbestos Exposure at Treasure Island Naval Stationmore »