The USS McLanahan (DD-615) was a Benson-class destroyer laid down on May 29, 1941, and launched on September 2, the following year. It was commissioned on December 19, 1942, under Lt. Comdr. H. R. Hummer’s command with the hull number DD-615 and served in the US Navy for 4 years until it was decommissioned on February 2, 1946. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 259 people on board and had its main missions in San Diego, Norfolk, Maine, Algeria, Oran, Gela, Naples, Monte Carlo, and San Remo. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on July 1, 1971 and sold for scrapping in 1974. For the services brought to the country during World War II, the USS McLanahan received 4 battle stars.
Asbestos-containing products were used extensively on American ships from the early 1940s through the late 1970s. Areas aboard Navy ships with high risk of asbestos exposure included engine and boiler rooms, navigation decks, and even sleeping quarters and mess halls. Asbestos exposure also took place during maintenance, repair and overhaul operations conducted periodically on naval vessels.