USS Mettawee was a Mettawee-class gasoline tanker laid down on August 13, 1942 and launched on November 28, the same year. It was commissioned on August 26, 1943 under Lt. Byron R. Everson’s command with the hull number AOG-17 and it served in the US Navy for 3 years until it was decommissioned on March 29, 1946. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 62 people onboard and had the main missions in Panama Canal, New York, New Caledonia, Bora Bora, Tulagi or San Francisco. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List and transferred to Maritime Commission where it was renamed Clearwater. Eventually, it was sold for scrapping to National Metal & Steel Corporation in 1964.