The USS Mindanao was an internal combustion engine repair ship belonging to the Luzon-class that was in the service of the US Navy during World War II. The ship was laid down as the Liberty Ship SS Elbert Hubbard by the Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyard in Baltimore, Maryland and launched in May 1943. Once it was acquired by the Navy, the USS Mindanao joined Task Group 29.7 in December 1943 and sailed for the Panama Canal, Cuba, and New Caledonia where it began its combustion engine repair ship duties. In November 1944, the ship was anchored in Seeadler Harbor when the ammunition ship Mount Hood exploded and inflicted heavy damage into the USS Mindanao which was 350 yards away. The explosion caused severe damage to the ship's hull and superstructure, and 180 crewmen were killed or wounded. After repairs were completed by 21 December, the ship returned to its engine repair duty. After supporting the occupying forces during the Okinawa Campaign, the ship sailed for Orange, Texas, to be decommissioned and placed in the reserve fleet. After having its equipment removed in September 1976, the ship was transferred to the James River Group reserve fleet and later withdrawn to become part of Florida's artificial reef program.