USS Mobile was a Cleveland-class light cruiser laid down on April 14, 1941 and launched on May 15, the following year. It was commissioned on March 24, 1943 under Capt. Charles J. Wheeler’s command with the hull number CL-63 and served in the US Navy for 4 years until it was decommissioned on May 9, 1947. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 1,255 people on board and had the main missions in Kwajalein, Formosa, Ulithi, Leyte Gulf, Okinawa, Luzon, San Pedro, Manila, Eniwetok or Mindanao. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on March 1, 1959 and sold for scrapping to Zidell Explorations the same year. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS Mobile received 11 battle stars.