USS Mugford was a Bagley-class destroyer laid down on October 28, 1935 and launched on October 31, 1936. It was commissioned on August 16, the following year under Lt. Comdr. E. W. Young’s command with the hull number DD-389 and served in the US Navy for 9 years until it was decommissioned on August 29, 1946. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 200 people on board and had the main missions in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, Guadalcanal, New Guinea, Mare Island or Okinawa. After the decommissioning, the ship was sunk on March 22, 1948. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS Mugford received 7 battle stars.