The USS Naos (AK-105), a Crater-class cargo ship was laid down on June 8, 1943, as SS William R. Nelson, under a Maritime Commission contract and was launched on June 30, 1943. The ships relied on asbestos-containing products such as boiler and steam pipe insulation, fireproofing material for bulkheads, brake linings in winches, and gaskets of valves and pipe fixtures during the construction and repair. The U.S. Navy acquired the ship on July 15, 1943, and converted for Naval service at Los Angeles Shipbuilding and Drydock Corp., San Pedro, CA. It was commissioned on August 17, 1943, under LCDR. Norman E. Wilcox’s command and served in the U.S. Navy for two years until it was decommissioned on December 6, 1945, in San Francisco, CA. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 190 men on board and it had the main missions in the Asiatic-Pacific Theater and the Far East. On June 30, 1969, the ship was sold for scrapping by Union Minerals and Alloys Corp.