USS Navajo was a Navajo-class tugboat laid down on December 12, 1938 and launched on August 17, the following year. It was commissioned on January 26, 1940 under Comdr. M. E. Thomas’ command with the hull number AT-64 and it served in the US Navy for 3 years before it was sunk by torpedoes on September 12, 1943. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 80 people on board and had the main missions in San Diego, Pearl Harbor, Johnston Island, Oahu, Canton Island, New Hebrides, Espiritu Santo, Noumea, Tongatapu or Sydney. For the service brought to the country during the World War II, USS Navajo received 2 battle stars.