The USS Neal A. Scott (DE-769) was a Cannon-class destroyer escort laid down on April 1, 1943, and launched on June 4, 1944. It was commissioned on July 31, 1944, with the hull number DE-769 and served in the U.S. Navy for 2 years until it was decommissioned on April 30, 1946. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 216 men on board and had its main missions in Bermuda, Boston, Norfolk, Solomon Islands, Algeria, Gibraltar, North Africa, Hampton Roads, Argentia, and Nova Scotia. After the decommissioning, in 1972, the ship was struck from the Navy List and sold for scrapping in 1969.
From the 1930s through to the middle of the 1970s, the Navy made use of hundreds of asbestos-containing products while constructing Cannon-class destroyers for the various wars and conflicts in which these types of Navy ships were involved. Asbestos was used for the hull construction, insulation of pipes, boilers, electrical fixtures, and as a fire retardant material in many areas aboard ships.