Stuff You Should Know
The USS Oahu was a repair ship belonging to the Luzon-class that was built in the United States to serve the US Navy for World War II operations. It was named after the third largest island in the Hawaiian Islands and it was the second US Navy ship to carry this name. The ship was constructed as the Liberty Ship SS Caleb C. Wheeler under a MARCOM contract at the Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyard in September 1943 and sponsored by Mrs. O.F. Hurt. Its conversion took place at the Maryland Drydock Company in Baltimore and it was commissioned by the US Navy with Commander Clyde Lovelace in Once its conversion was completed, the ship left for the Pacific to provide repair services for the ships in the Pacific Fleet, often docking at Eniwetok. The vessel later advanced towards Ulithi to assist the ships preparing for the Okinawa invasion and later returned to the Marshall Islands. By the end of the war, the USS Oahu had been repaired over two thousand ships. It then steamed towards the West Coast and it was decommissioned at San Diego and placed in the reserve fleet at Suisun Bay. It was eventually sold to General Metals of Tacoma for scrapping.