USS O’Flaherty was a John C. Butler-class destroyer escort laid down on October 4, 1943 and launched on December 14, the same year. It was commissioned on April 8, 1944 under Lt. Cmdr. D. W. Farnham’s command as DE-340 and served in the US Navy for 3 years until it was decommissioned in January 1947. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 222 people on board and had the main missions in Bermuda, Trinidad, Panama Canal, Manus, Guam, San Diego, Tarawa, Eniwetok, Pearl Harbor or Okinawa. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on December 1, 1972 and sold for scrapping the following year. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS O’Flaherty received 4 battle stars.