The USS Outpost was a radar picket ship belonging the Guardian-class that was acquired by the US Navy in 1956 from the reserve fleet for radar picket duty in the North Atlantic, as part of the Distant Early Warning Line program. The ship was originally laid down as the Liberty Ship SS Francis J. O’Gara by the J.A. Jones Construction Company in Panama City, Florida, and then transferred to the US Maritime Commission in June 1945. Its World War II service consisted of several cruises to the US West Coast and various European ports, operated by the Calmer Steamship Corporation. After the war, the vessel was operated by several companies, until January 1948 when it was laid up in the reserve fleet of the Maritime Commission at Mobile, Alabama. Its service as a radar picket ship started in May 1956 when it was acquired by the Navy and converted into an Ocean Station Radar Ship and equipped with the radar and tracking gear necessary for its role. The ship remained in service until 1962 when it was decommissioned and returned to the US Maritime Administration. It was placed in the reserve fleet at Hudson River and sold for scrapping in 1971.