The USS Peiffer (DE-588) was a Rudderow-class destroyer escort laid down on December 21, 1943, and launched on January 26, the following year. It was commissioned on June 15, 1944, under Lt. Cmdr. W. F. Jones’ command as DE-588 and served in the U.S. Navy for 2 years until it was decommissioned on June 1, 1946. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 186 people on board and had its main missions in Bermuda, Manus, Panama, New England, Hollandia, San Pedro, Leyte, Luzon, San Diego, and Shanghai. After decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on December 1, 1966, and used as a target during training exercises. For the services brought to the country during World War II, the USS Peiffer received one battle star. Even though the government prohibited the use of asbestos in the 1970s, its toxic minerals and subsequent effects continued to linger decades thereafter. Exposure risks persisted due to asbestos-containing products that were previously installed having to be repaired, maintained, or removed. Among the applications for asbestos in the U.S. Navy, the following were prevalent: insulation, blocks and pipe sections, gaskets and packing, friction materials, electrical applications, heat-resistant materials, such as coatings, mastics, welding blankets, and gloves.