USS Phaon was an Aristaeus-class battle damage repair ship laid down on September 17, 1942 and launched on January 30, the same year. It was commissioned on August 5, 1943 under Lt. George Fay Watson’s command with the hull number ARB-3 and served in the US Navy for 4 years until it was decommissioned on January 15, 1947. During its activity, the ship carried a complement of 260 people on board and had the main missions in New Orleans, Cuba, Samoa, Pago Pago, Funafuti, Tarawa, Majuro, Saipan, Eniwetok, Kwajalein, Tinian, Iwo Jima or Okinawa. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on July 1, 1961 and sold to Zidell Explorations Inc. in Portland the following year. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS Phaon received three battle stars.