USS Philadelphia was a Brooklyn-class light cruiser laid down on May 28, 1935 and launched on November 17, the following year. It was commissioned on September 23, 1937 under Capt. Jules James’ command with the hull number CL-41 and served in the US Navy for 10 years until it was decommissioned on February 3, 1947. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 868 people on board and had the main missions in Maine, Philadelphia, Salerno, Malta, Altavilla or Le Havre. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on January 9, 1951 and sold to Brazil in 1951 where it was renamed Barroso. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS Philadelphia received 5 battle stars.