USS Portland was a Portland-class cruiser laid down on February 17, 1930 and launched on May 21, 1932. It was commissioned on February 23, the following year under Capt. Herbert F. Leary’s command as CA-33 and served in the US Navy for 13 years until it decommissioned on July 12, 1946. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 848 people during wartime and 4 aircraft on board and had the main missions in Midway, Ulithi, Pearl Harbor, Buckner Bay, Lingayen Gulf or Okinawa. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on March 1, 1959 and sold for scrapping the same year. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS Portland received 16 battle stars.
Died on 11/13/1942