Stuff You Should Know
USS Prince Georges (AK-224) was a cargo ship that served the US Navy during World War II. It belonged to the Crater class and it was named after the Prince George’s County in Maryland. The ship was laid down by Permanente Metals Corporation in September 1942 as the Liberty Ship SS Richard March Hoe at their Yard No. 2 in Richmond, California and used by the Army Transport Service in the Aleutian Islands for troops transportation. Once acquired by the US Navy and with Lieutenant Commander William J. Lane in command, Prince Georges operated on the shores of Tarawa and carried troops and supplies from Pearl Harbor to various ports in the Central Pacific Area, providing support for the Saipan invasion as well as the Palaus invasion towards the end of 1944. Once the war ended, the ship took part in the Operation Magic Carpet and brought back to the US veterans from Saipan and Japan, and then, on a second trip, from Okinawa.
Once arrived at San Francisco in February 1946, it was decommissioned and returned to the War Shipping Administration, and subsequently placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet at Suisun Bay, California. It was sold for scrapping in May 1969. The vessel received one battle star for its World War II service.