Built by Kaiser Shipbuilding of Vancouver over a period of 3 months, the USS Rawlins (APA-226) was commissioned on November 11, 1944, and set for the South Pacific in January, the next year. After her first delivery to New Caledonia, she sailed to Guadalcanal where she took part in rehearsals for the invasion of Okinawa. On the 1st of April, she arrived near Ulithi beach, troops of the 1st Marine division on board. After five days in theater, she headed for Saipan with the final destination San Francisco. She returned to Okinawa in July and then headed for the East Coast of the US for a shipment of troupes destined for the Philippines. After the Japanese surrendered, she took on ferry duties between the main islands and southern ports. With the operation Magic Carpet over, she retired to Norfolk where she was berthed in November 1946 and sold for scrap some four decades later. As with all Victory ships, asbestos was used for heat and water shielding throughout her interior. There weren’t really any major areas on the ship where asbestos wasn’t present, but the engine, propulsion, pump, and damage control rooms presented the highest risk of exposure for the crew.