USS Samuel Chase was an Arthur Middleton-class attack transport laid down on August 31, 1940 and launched on August 23, the following year. It was commissioned on June 13, 1942 under Comdr. Roger C. Heimer’s command with the hull number APA-26 and it served in the US Navy for 5 years until it was decommissioned on February 26, 1947. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 578 people onboard and had the main missions in Norfolk, French Morocco, Pearl Harbor, San Francisco, Yokohama, Naples, Guam or Weymouth. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on October 1, 1958 and sold to Consolidated Steel Corporation in 1973. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS Samuel Chase received 5 battle stars.