USS San Diego was an Atlanta-class light cruiser laid down on March 27, 1940 and launched on July 26, the following year. It was commissioned on January 10, 1942 under Capt. Benjamin F. Perry’s command with the hull number CL-53 and served in the US Navy for 4 years until it was decommissioned on November 4, 1946. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 796 people on board and had the main missions in Luzon, San Diego, Ulithi, Manila, Saipan, Iwo Jima, Guam, Okinawa, Majuro, Espiritu Santo or Formosa. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on March 1, 1959 and sold for scrapping in 1960 to Todd Shipyards in Seattle. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS San Diego received 18 battle stars.
78 years old