The USS Scanner was a radar picket ship belonging to the Guardian-class acquired by the US Navy in 1955 from the reserve fleet and converted for radar picket duty in the North Pacific as part of the Distant Early Line Project. The ship was built in January 1945 by Jones Construction Co. in Panama City, Florida as the Liberty Ship Edwin D. Howard and delivered to the Alcoa Steamship Company. It was acquired by the US Navy from the Maritime Commission in June 1955, renamed, and converted to a radar picket ship at Norfolk Naval Shipyard. As a radar picket ship, the USS Scanner operated out of San Francisco, California and being equipped with sophisticated search and tracking gear, it was responsible for detecting, tracking, and reporting enemy aircraft at long range, as well as weather reporting during its longer cruises. The USS Scanner was reconverted in September 1958, decommissioned in July 1965, and turned over to the Maritime Administration. The ship later returned to the reserve fleet at Suisun Bay, California and sold in October 1974.