USS St. Louis was a St. Louis-class light cruiser laid down on December 10, 1936 and launched on April 15, 1938. It was commissioned on May 19, 1939 under Capt. Charles H. Morrison’s command with the hull number CL-49 and served in the US Navy for 7 years until it was decommissioned on June 20, 1946. During its activities, the ship carried a complement of 868 people on board and had the main missions in Pearl Harbor, Mare Island, Manila, Kodiak Island, New Caledonia, Espiritu Santo, Surigato Strait or Kerama Retto. After the decommissioning, the ship was struck from the Navy List on January 22, 1951 and sold to Brazil where it was renamed Tamandare. For the services brought to the country during the World War II, USS St. Louis received 11 battle stars.