USS Starr was a Tolland-class attack cargo ship laid down on June 13, 1944 and launched on August 18, the same year. It was commissioned on September 29, 1944 under Comdr. Frederick O. Goldsmith’s command and served in the US Navy for 2 years until it was decommissioned on May 31, 1946. It carried a complement of 395 men on board. During the World War II, the ship operated in Pearl Harbor, Kahului Harbor, Eniwetok, Leyte, Ryukyu Islands, Guam or San Pedro. After the decommissioning, USS Starr was struck from the Naval Register on June 19, 1946 and was sold to Pacific Far East Lines where it was renamed SS India Bear.